Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Hindu succession Act

It is the apt time to have an amendment to the Hindu succession act that gives equal rights to women in parental property. Even today there are millions of women in our country who are silently grieving, after writing off their due share on the ancestral property to their male siblings. Such women are driven by social implications and personal relationship with their siblings. They are threatened, black mailed and emotionally disturbed by their male siblings. It is quite unfortunate that even moderately educated women are victims of such discrimination. Only handful of women has the guts to bring their male siblings to a court of law in order to get their fair share. In a Hindu society filing a suit against a family member by a woman is still frowned upon. I salute those women for their brave action to seize their legitimate birthright. The amendment is an eye opener for such women and will provide a strong backbone to their independence.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dear sir,

I would like you to advise me on the issue of property rights for women concerning agricultural land in Delhi. My mother's father died in November 2006, after his death my mother's brothers got all the agricultural land in Delhi transfered in their name.They said that she does not have any right to the property in Delhi. I would like to know if she has any legal rights to the property, and if she can do anything to get her share.

I thought that the central government in 2005 passed the hindu succession act (amendment) that gives her rights to ancestral property in Delhi.
My mother consulted many lawyers in Delhi. They said that women in Delhi do not have any rights to ancestral property.We also consulted the patwari and he said that no notification has been sent by the government in that effect.

I am very confused. I do not know what the actual law is in Delhi. Is there a way to get our share? I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,
arjun