Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Mozhi

After a very long time I had the opportunity to watch a decent movie. Somehow, Jo's role did not impress me. Jo being a hearing & speech challenged person, I failed to appreciate the acting and I did not connect the dots. Somehow, I compared Mozhi with the movie Anjali, which depicted an event in an apartment complex. I connected Shamli with Jo. Janakaraj with the chinna pappa periya pappa guy and his wife with Pasi sathya. Jo's paati with Revathi. The hero with raghuvaran, Swarnamalya with Charanya. And lot more. It was fun for me. I am sure I have few takers on this.

I enjoyed the movie because it did not have the usual masala which is part and parcel of any Kollywood movies. But somehow there is no impact, not even a review of the story.

The last Tuesday I saw an episode in "Law and Order - Criminal Intent" which hit me like a freight train. The story line is subtle, people who could neither hear nor speak, do not want a chance to correct their inwardness.

All of a sudden it was surreal and it all made sense. I connected the artists with my cousin brother who is 10 and is born speech and hearing challenged. Nevertheless to mention that he gives a rats ass to his so called "impairment". Sometimes he feels lonely even in a crowd. We tried to cheer him which he did not appreciate. I haven't seen him cry. I haven't seen him without a notebook and a pen. I haven't seen him in a room that did not have a blaring TV. I haven't seen him down. When asked what he wanted the most for his birthday, he signaled a video game.

Each and every act in the series reminded me of him. I was worried about him and his future. Law and Order CI made sense but I still couldn't connect Jo's role with him. And I couldn't explain this to myself and I don't know why?

8 comments:

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

This is a very nice post..Which stands different from the rest of your posts! :)

And i dont understand the Law & order link with the boy you have mentioned.. :( Whats tht?

Sriram Varadharajan said...

Ponnarasi, Law and Order is a NBC series which is a criminal investigation show. For more info www.nbc.com and look for Law and Order.

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

:( Am aware abt that show..I DONT get the link between that show and the boy u have mentioned!

Sriram Varadharajan said...

The last week's episode answers your question.

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Will chck tht soon!

Raja Krishnan said...

HI Im raja,,, really anice post... but not to mention, that you under reviewed the film.. but different...mm...

Sriram Varadharajan said...

Raja, thank you for the visit. Meanwhile, I did not under estimate the impact of the movie. The movie did move me, but I was mentioning that the Law and Order series made me connect the dots while the Movie did not. I still don't know how ....

Driver said...

Long time, no opinions?